Two Months Before Your Move
- Get moving quotes if you are planning on using a professional mover
- If you need a rental truck for a “do-it-yourself-move”, contact a rental company
- Visually prepare or design a floor plan for your furniture in your new home
- Create an inventory list of your belongings you wish to sell in a garage or moving sale.
- Keep all of your paperwork concerning the move in one file, so nothing is lost or misplaced
- Transfer all school records for your children
- Finalize your decision on a mover
- If possible, make plans to prepare your new home for arrival with new paint, new locks etc.
One Month Before Your Move
- Change your address – most changes can be done on-line.
- Change your address with the CRA – you can do this online
- Make any travel arrangements where you would need an airline, train, hotel, bus or car rental
- Research the area in which you will be moving for clubs, civic organizations and churches so you can change your membership.
- Contact medical and dental offices to receive records, asking these professionals for referrals and continuing prescriptions.
- Establish new banking relationships
- Arrange for your pets to be transported
- Use/finish household items so that there is less to pack and move
Two Weeks Before Your Move
- Arrange to have your magazines, newspaper, and mail forwarded to your new address effective on your moving date
- Forward your old email to your new email address if applicable
- Contact all of your utilities and change your service to your new address
- Organize those helping you on the day of the move
- Be sure to confirm all travel reservations you have made
- If moving appliances, you may want to have them inspected before the move
- Start packing all non-essential items
- Label all boxes as to what they contain
- Put together a “survival kit” with items you will need for the first 48 hours of your move.
- Keep important documents and valuables close at hand during the move
- Review your insurance policy for coverage during your move
- Provide relatives with your travel information
- Defrost your freezer and refrigerator
- Arrange cleaners to come in immediately following the move.
- Be sure to take control of all personal items that are valuable or important to you during the move
- Do a final walk through of the home to make sure all of your belongings have been removed.